When you get a pup, you wonder about their development. Even if you are familiar with dogs, you still want to know how big your Frenchie is going to get, and how fast!
Your French Bulldog will go through 5 puppy growth stages:
- The neonatal stage: Birth to 2 weeks of age.
- The transitional stage: 2 to 4 weeks of age.
- The socialization stage: 3 to 12 weeks of age.
- The ranking stage: 3 to 6 months of age.
- The adolescence stage: 6 to 18 months of age.
Find out when do French Bulldogs stop growing and what to expect during each growth stage.
- French Bulldog Growth Stages
- French Bulldog Growth Chart
- Adult French Bulldog Size
French Bulldog Growth Stages
French Bulldogs are small dogs and they belong to the Non-Sporting group (like Boston Terriers).
Most French Bulldogs are born via cesarian (C-section) due to dystocia – a medical term used to diagnose a difficult birthing experience.
Brachycephalic breeds are predisposed to have a difficult birth because of the size of their head and narrow female pelvis.
So, what is a French Bulldog litter size?
On average, French Bulldogs have a 3 puppy litter, higher litter size is unusual due to the size of the dog.
Now, here’s what to expect for each stage:
#1 – The Neonatal Stage (Birth to 2 Weeks)
During the neonatal stage:
- Puppies are blind, deaf, and toothless.
- Touch and taste are immediately present after birth.
- Their mother has the most influence over the puppy. She will feed them and keep them warm too.
- Puppies will mostly nurse and sleep during this stage.
#2 – The Transitional Stage (2 to 4 Weeks)
At the transitional stage:
- Their sense of hearing and smell will develop.
- Their eyes will open and will develop.
- Puppies teeth will begin to appear.
- Also, puppies will start to move. They begin to stand, take their first steps, wag their tail, and even bark.
- A puppy’s behaviour will be influenced by the mom and littermates.
#3 – The Socialization Stage (3 to 12 Weeks)
This stage is key for socialization, like the name indicates, and is the period when a puppy goes through rapid development.
During the socialization stage, the highlights are:
- By 3 to 5 weeks, play becomes important as puppies become aware of their surroundings.
- From weeks 3 to 4, pups develop control over their bladder and bowel movements. This is when they start learning to leave their sleeping area before relieving themselves.
- From 4 to 6 weeks, puppies start learning dog social skills such as play, interaction with littermates, the inhibited bite, etc. Pups also explore their social boundaries, how to communicate effectively with other dogs and improve physical coordination.
- From the 4th week, puppies begin forming emotional attachments and bonds with the people around them. A good time to meet your future pup. 🙂
- By 5 to 7 weeks, a puppy needs positive human interaction as he or she develops curiosity and explores new experiences.
- Between 6 to 8 weeks, puppies should start receiving vaccinations (source: American Kennel Club).
- By week 8, puppies are fully weaned off their mother’s milk and eat solid food. After being fully weaned, pups start to be ready to leave their canine birth family and go to their new human homes.
- By 7 to 9 weeks, puppies can begin to be housetrained, including potty training.
- At 9 to 12 weeks, puppies can start learning basic commands as they start focusing on people (their new parents).
- Socialize your French Bulldog daily. Although the first 14 to 16 weeks of your puppy’s life can be considered to be your dog’s socialization period, it’s beneficial to keep exposing your pooch to new things.
#4 – The Ranking Stage (3 to 6 Months)
At the ranking stage:
- French Bulldogs start teething. It will last for several months.
- You are the main influencer for your pup.
#5 – The Adolescence Stage (6 to 18 Months)
The adolescence stage is the last development step:
- Between 6 to 9 months of age: Puppies reach sexual maturity.
- Between 9 to 12 months of age: Your puppy’s growth slows down. Usually, French Bulldogs reach adulthood between 9 to 12 months of age.
- 1 Year old: French Bulldogs reach their full height and weight.
French Bulldog Growth Chart
This chart will give you a guideline for what to expect on how fast your French Bulldog grows and how quickly he or she will gain weight.
|FRENCH BULLDOG AGE||FRENCH BULLDOG HEIGHT||FRENCH BULLDOG WEIGHT|
|8 weeks||–||5 – 6.9 pounds|
(2.2 – 3.1 kg)
|3 months||5 – 6 inches|
(12.7 – 15.2 cm)
|6.9 – 9 pounds|
(3.1 – 4.1 kg)
|6 months||7 – 9 inches|
(17.8 – 22.9 cm)
|16 – 18 pounds |
(7.3 – 8.2 kg)
|9 months||10 – 11 inches|
(24.5 – 27.9 cm)
|18 – 23 pounds|
(8.2 – 10.4 kg)
|1 year||11 – 13 inches |
(28 – 33 cm)
|23 – 28 pounds |
(10.4 – 12.7 kg)
You can use our French Bulldog weight chart as a guideline to track your puppy’s development.
You will notice that there is a range in both height and weight.
Use the lighter weights for smaller Frenchies and females and the heavier weights for males and bigger pups.
The expected height and weight can vary, as French Bulldogs are very different in size and shape. This chart is based on breed standards.
However, there are Frenchies that fall outside this standard. If you have a half-bred French Bulldog or cross-breed (known as a Frenchton), your doggy’s size will be determined by both parents breed traits.
Mini or teacup French Bulldogs, on the other hand, are the results of breeding small sized French Bulldogs.
Adult French Bulldog Size
So, you might be wondering… When do french bulldogs stop growing?
Let’s have a look at an adult French Bulldog size or statue (and how to measure them at home!)
When Is a French Bulldog Full Grown?
After 9 months of age, French Bulldogs’ growth will slow down and by the time they are 1 year old, French Bulldogs reach adulthood.
On average, French Bulldogs are fully grown by the age of 12 months. However, a bigger sized French Bulldog can continue to grow until 14 months of age.
Most French Bulldogs will grow to their maximum height in their first 12 months. However, their weight will increase from 12 months for up to 24 months as they bulk out.
Even once your French Bulldog is as tall as he/she is going to get, your french will still gain weight in the form of muscle mass.
The rate of your French Bulldog’s growth can vary depending on your dog’s diet, genetics, exercise, and overall health.
Sexual maturity, on the other hand, usually comes before physical maturity. Female French Bulldogs go into their first heat cycle (known as estrous) when they are 6 to 9 months old. After that, female Frenchies are able to get pregnant.
Male French Bulldogs, however, generally gain full reproductive capabilities when they are between 6 months to 1 year old.
The French Bulldog breed is in his or her prime between 1.5 to 7 years. Afterwards, they will be considered senior dogs.
How many years does a french bulldog live, though?
French Bulldogs lifespan (or life expectancy) is between 10 to 12 years (source).
French Bulldog Adult Weight and Height
A purebred adult French Bulldog weighs between 18 and 28 pounds (10.4 – 12.7 kg) and is 11 to 13 inches tall (28 – 33 cm).
Measuring a French Bulldog’s Weight
A female French Bulldog typically weighs less than a male because females have smaller heads and less muscle.
According to the AKC breed standard, both male and female French Bulldogs shouldn’t exceed 28 lb (12.7 kg) (source).
French Bulldogs above of this weight may be classed over-weight. Check with your vet to get an accurate diagnosis since more athletic dogs will have bigger muscles and will weight more.
Because Frenchies are small dogs, they are quite easy to weigh at home.
If you have difficulty getting your dog to stand on a bathroom scale… Here’s what you can do:
- Weigh yourself first.
- Then, pick up your pup, and weigh yourself holding your dog.
Measuring a French Bulldog’s Height
French Bulldogs are usually at their full height when they are about 9 to 12 months old.
Adult French Bulldogs, both female and male, are usually close in height (if not in weight). They are between 11 to 13 inches (28 – 33 cm) tall.
Wondering how tall your puppy is?
You can measure your French Bulldog’s height with a measuring tape. Measure at the withers (shoulder) whilst standing.